The Whistle Stop Barber Shop
- Telephone 0131 556 0954
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 5am
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.whistlestopedinburgh.co.uk
Enjoyable central hangout, whose diner-style range of burgers, hot dogs, pizzas and chargrill steaks set it apart.
This corner spot on South Bridge has been something of a dead zone for bars in recent years, but the Whistle Stop Barber Shop deserves to change all that. It’s simply a bar which tries plenty of things out and gets them largely right; from the selection of cocktails and craft ales to an American diner-style menu of food which is both hearty and highly satisfying in the context of a plate of food which goes nicely with a beer alongside it. The homemade steak burgers – reassuringly made of two thinner patties rather than the ball of meat which has become fashionable – feature odd but satisfying combinations like the Southwest Benedict (chorizo, fried egg and chipotle hollandaise) and the Crabby Louis (avocado and white crab meat). Hot dogs, chargrill steaks, nachos, buffalo wings and pizza also feature, and if the thematic style of hair-clipping scissors on the walls and barbershop cages separating the booths feels a little laboured, at least it’s a place which has been quick to stamp its own personality.
- High point: Hearty, American diner-themed food
- Low point: No lunch service outside summer, at the moment
- Notable dish: Southwest Benedict beef burger, with spicy chorizo, fried egg and chipotle hollandaise
- Delivery: ask for details
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music on Sun night.
- Capacity: 90 seated
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Events at this venue
Canada Day 150 Events
Happy Birthday Canada! On Sat 1 July Canada turns 150, join in celebrations taking place across the globe with Canada Day After Parties hosted in London, Glasgow and Edinburgh. #projectmoose150. If you need a ride home after the celebrations take advantage of our special discount code for UBER and get £10 off your…
Sat 1 Jul
Times & prices to be confirmed / 0131 556 0954