Field Grill House
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 332 9977
- Opening times Tue–Sat noon–2pm & 6–9:30pm. Closed Sun & Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 6–9.30pm
- Average price £13 (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Website www.fieldgrillhouse.co.uk
Interesting and innovative dishes, presented with flair, with a focus on locally sourced, seasonal ingredients.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Nestled amid Stockbridge’s bustling main thoroughfare sits relative newcomer Field Grill House (opened autumn 2015), sister restaurant to the Southside’s Field. The L-shaped layout holds a number of dark wooden tables, contrasting against the neutral sage green wood panel walls. The seasonally changing à la carte menu offers an array of innovative and inviting dishes including goats cheese panacotta with walnut crumb, truffled honey, apple and goat’s cheese beignet to start (yes, that is all just one dish). For mains, there is a focus on their succulent, locally sourced, 35-days aged steak served with a portobello mushroom, bursting red tomato and your choice of sauce and side. To accompany, chips are well-seasoned and comfortingly fluffy, while carrots roasted in honey and sesame seeds are a delight. Don't fancy steak? There are a number of equally appealing options from roast cod to duck. To finish, the baked Alaska is visually impressive – beautiful crown-like spikes concealing a melting sorbet. With an extensive wine list in its armour, it's worth planning ahead and organising a taxi home.
- High point: The lyrical and intriguing menu
- Low point: Your wallet will feel a bit light by the end of the night
- Notable dish: The amazing goat's cheese pannacotta starter
- Provides: Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background music
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 24
- House wine: £18 per bottle