- Telephone 0131 662 0974
- Seasonal times Late festival and Christmas opening.
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 4–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm; not Sun.
- Average price Selected dishes only £5 on Mon–Sat between noon–5pm. (set lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.edinburghsocialpub.org
Edinburgh's first social enterprise pub serves beers 'n' burgers, and gives the proceeds to charity.
Self-billed as the first social enterprise pub in Edinburgh (and potentially the first in the UK), the Southside Social boasts an admirable mission which will help you feel a lot less guilty about staying for that extra pint. Owner Chris Thewlis aims to make the pub the focal point for the community again, whether that’s by simply offering the upstairs room for meetings of local clubs and university societies; by holding nine-week, on-the-job hospitality training courses for young unemployed people; or by giving all the profits to charity. Changes since the days of the old Meadow Bar are largely superficial, but there is a good range of beers and fresh, homemade bar meals with a range of burgers as the centrepiece.
- High point: Genuine, commendable effort to put something back into the community
- Low point: Despite a range of burger fillings, menu options are limited
- Notable dish: Southside beef, chicken or veggie burger with pulled pork, bacon, cheese, fries and coleslaw.
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live band at 8pm every Thu.
- Capacity: 120 standing, 80 seated.
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £9.95 per bottle