Makar's Gourmet Mash Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 1178
- Opening times Mon–Thu: 11am–10pm; Friday/Saturday 11–late. Closed Sun.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 11am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.makars-rest.com
Tourist-friendly gourmet mash, rosti and Scottish dishes, with a good selection of Scottish craft beers to wash them down.
Centrally located bar at the top of the Mound and a short hop from the Royal Mile, the Makar’s Rest has recently rebranded as a gourmet mash bar. Perhaps not the most glamorous choice in the face of a recent spate of gourmet burger bars and the like, but look below the surface: there's an interesting and affordable line in traditional and bespoke Scottish dishes. Eye-catching options include a tender braised ox cheek in Stewart’s Stout gravy (Stewart’s are well-represented amidst a good line in craft ales and produce a Makar’s Rest lager), a plate of AJ Hornig’s haggis with turnip mash and a honey and thyme sauce, and ‘Bonnie Prince Charlie chicken’ with whisky, mustard and cream sauce. There are four hearty mash sides to choose from, including mustard or black pudding options, while rösti stacks take the place of the traditional burger bun. With a small but bright beer garden to the side, this tourist-friendly choice deserves exploration by anyone.
- High point: Good Scottish food options at a reasonable price
- Low point: The focus on mash underplays the quality of the rest of each dish.
- Notable dish: Braised ox cheek with Stewart's stout gravy, with black pudding potato mash.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 66 (44 outdoors)
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £19 per bottle