- Telephone 0131 557 1606
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–5pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk
This contemporary expression of Henderson’s brings decades of vegetarian cooking know–how into new, upbeat surroundings at Holyrood.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This contemporary expression of Henderson’s brings decades of vegetarian cooking know-how into bright, new, upbeat surroundings at Holyrood. As an off-shoot of this Edinburgh culinary institution, there is a reputation to maintain here, as well as a fresh energy and a laid-back but progressive identity that clearly has a wide appeal. The eclectic mix of tweed upholstery, brightly coloured chairs and reclaimed wooden panels on the walls reflects a similarly varied customer base from professionals behind laptops and groups of students to young families. A recognisably accomplished salad bar makes for a creative pick-and-mix accompaniment to potato croquettes or a focaccia pizza and hits the spot in Henderson’s time-honoured fashion. The menu includes tried and tested meat-free recipes as well as options exclusive to this Holyrood branch, such as a beetroot and hummus wrap, and everything is, of course, organic and homemade with vegan and gluten-free options.
- High point: Accomplished vegetarian food in laid-back surroundings
- Low point: Fill up on salad as there's not much cake to choose from
- Notable dish: Beetroot and hummus wrap
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19 per bottle