This contemporary expression of Hendersons brings decades of vegetarian cooking know–how into new, upbeat surroundings at Holyrood.
Hendersons have been catering to the vegetarians and vegans of the city for decades, with extensive menus of healthy dishes and hearty comfort foods. Holyrood has a casual and welcoming feel, accentuated by quirky décor with mismatched lamps, colourful furniture and walls covered with reclaimed wood. Breakfast options are served daily – all day on Sunday – and include gluten-free shakshuka and a tofu, haggis and veg filled breakfast burrito, with smoothies and super juices which go down a treat. While Hendersons in general is known for high-quality veggie food, the street food options are a clear bonus here. Veggie versions of steak sandwiches, Philly dogs and chorizo burgers are supplemented by the famous salads, as well as classics like falafel, spanakopita and veggie haggis parcels.
- High point: A great range for vegetarians and vegans
- Low point: Expect to wait for a table at lunch
- Notable dish: Seitan steak sandwich
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, acoustic and contemporary
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.50 (500ml carafe) per bottle