The Printing Press
- Telephone 0131 240 7177
- Opening times Daily: noon–10.30pm.
- Seasonal times Bar open till 2am during August, restaurant open til 10.30 pm all week
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 12.30–10.30pm.
- Website www.printingpressedinburgh.co.uk
Lively and classy George Street venue with a commendable focus on good food and good times.
The swish entrance to this former publishing house attached to the Principal Hotel leads diners into a stunning interior. The theatrical, original starburst ceiling and art deco features act as a dramatic backdrop for a contemporary cocktail bar, replicating the smooth lines and curves of the era. A further two elegant rooms are used for the bar and kitchen experience, where aproned waiting staff work the floor with aplomb. Starters include a perfectly executed thermidor tart bristling with flakes of Orkney crab in a creamy filling with mild, soft leeks, while Jerusalem artichoke soup has a velvety smooth texture and buttery finish, accompanied by springy, homemade mushroom brioche. From the mains, a densely packed but tender ox cheek flourishes in its lively trimmings of smoked potato and sharp buttermilk sauce, alongside a nest of cabbage and bacon. Elsewhere, roasted pork fillet is enlivened with sweet parsnip purée, a delicately seasoned crispy black pudding bonbon and strident apple sauce. Although the portions are hefty, leave room for interesting puddings like savarin cake with lime and pineapple.
The Printing Press Bar & Kitchen is open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a late bar serving food and drink till 1am.
Housed in a Georgian townhouse on George Street, The Printing Press pays homage to the capital’s rich literary heritage whilst offering relaxed dining in an elegant, all-day restaurant that champions seasonal, Scottish produce. The Printing Press has been developed by one of London’s most respected restaurateurs, Des McDonald.
Text supplied by third party.
- No. overnight rooms: 249
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and swing
- Live entertainment: Occassional music performance / in-house DJs
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: October 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £20 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.