El Toro Loco
- Telephone 0131 226 3706
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–11pm; Fri/Sat 9am–midnight.
- Average price £8 (lunch); £8 (evening meal)
Part of a mini Grassmarket empire which also includes Gennaro Ristorante next door and Mamma’s American Pizzeria along the road, El Toro Loco is the latest in a line of fashionable Mexican street food places to have sprung up of late, after Los Cardos in Leith, the west coast Pinto chain and the revived Illegal Jack’s. Decorated in warm reds and with lots of bright table seating outside, its sense of authenticity may have been aided by the (possibly permanent) Day of the Dead decorations on the walls. The food is very agreeable, despite a lack of kick to the fresh hot salsa, with burritos, tacos and quesadillas loaded with meaty, shredded hunks of pork carnitas, baracoa beef or chipotle chicken, beans infused with beer or bacon, and all the regular sides including ‘cactus’ (thin pickled gherkins). Breakfasts include spicy sausage omelette and a mackerel tostada, and small desserts of chilli-infused honey and vanilla custard or chilli chocolate mousse are available, while shelves of hot sauces can remedy the salsa issue.
- High point: Al fresco seating makes this more authentic street food than most.
- Low point: The flimsy plastic cutlery isn't up to a sturdy burrito.
- Notable dish: Baracoa beef burrito
- Open since: 2015