Smith & Gertrude
- Telephone 0131 629 6280
- Seasonal times Late opening during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Tue–Thu 4–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price Wine flights £11.50; cheese and wine flights £16. (set evening meal)
- Website www.smithandgertrude.com
Quality music, cheese, charcuterie and wine at this laid-back reinvention of the contemporary wine bar.
Whether you pop in for a quick glass of bubbles and some black truffle crisps on the way home from work or settle in for a few hours with a carefully themed wine and cheese flight, the sophisticated and welcoming Smith & Gertrude will see you right. There’s no rush here - and it’s a good job too, because it will take a while to work through the thoughtfully curated wine list. The list features well-known and less-familiar varieties from around the world, with more than just lip service paid to English producers. Edinburgh-sourced charcuterie and cheese boards (and even some locally made chocolates) make trusty accompaniments to your chosen tipple. This is a classy spot to have on your doorstep, but it’s also well worth travelling for.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Customer's choice on the record player
- Capacity: 47
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £20 per bottle