- Telephone 0131 332 0031
- Food served Mon–Sun 2–10.30pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.streetboxedinburgh.co.uk
Predominantly takeaway/delivery, this Thai descendant of Ruan Siam focuses on rustic flavours and traditional favourites.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
From the ashes of the now-closed Ruan Siam, a tiny hole-in-the-wall Stockbridge café which predominantly focuses on takeaway/delivery has emerged in the form of Street Box. For those mourning Ruan Siam, you’ll find many of the old standards available here. In addition, there’s some street food, mostly apparent in the starters, and the menu as a whole here has a more rustic feel to it. Gai haw bai teauy delivers pandam leaf-wrapped parcels of honeyed chicken and just a hint of whisky, while gra beoung talay fills triangular wheat parcels with moist crab and king prawn. Most of the standard curries and stir fries are here, served with chicken, beef, pork or king prawn, and while the sauces on occasion are a bit thin, the flavour is good. Additionally, there’s also some chargrilling to investigate, as chicken, beef or duck are served up with tangy sauces.
- High point: Interesting starters that make good snacking
- Low point: Not much room if you want to dine in
- Delivery: £2
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 10
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0