- Telephone 0141 258 5565
- Opening times Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website paesanopizza.co.uk
Delicious and authentic, Paesano’s bustling tables and open kitchen play host to incredibly affordable Neapolitan artisan pizza.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With long rows of bustling tables leading the eye to a back wall given over to huge pizza ovens, there is a wonderful simplicity to Paesano Pizza. The menu, printed on a single sheet, lists eight pizzas all priced between £5 and £8, and a handful of sides, salad and olives. There are also two specials on the board. And that’s it – but far from all, because the pizza is the most authentic Neapolitan pizza to be had in the city. The kitchen, with its crew – hailing from Naples of course – makes two day-proved dough from regional Caputo 00 flour, while the Strianese tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and olive oil all come from Campania. It’s not just the ingredients though, it’s the way they are put together. The No. 3 comes with a deep, rounded saltiness from its topping of tomato sugo, olives, anchovies, garlic and capers, while the special of iron-rich broccoli flowers and coarse fennel sausage, served without sugo pizza bianco-style, is fresh, earthy and simply delicious, all served on hand-shaped dough that gives a soft, crisp light crust.
- High point: Delicious, quick, artisan pizza
- Low point: No bookings so first come is first served
- Notable dish: Artisan pizza
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: art school indie
- Capacity: 165
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16 per bottle