- Telephone 0141 328 8941
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Average price £15 (lunch); £ 18 (evening meal)
- Website www.pickledgingerfinnieston.co.uk
A great little neighbourhood sushi specialist and undoubtedly the coolest sake bar in town.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Positioned in its most inauspicious spot opposite a vast, flattened gap site opposite, Pickled Ginger with its bright and cheery exterior, looks a bit like a lonely pub that has survived the tenement clearances. But inside is a vibrant diner that is clearly striking a chord with locals. The bar menu describes seven sakes (choose a chardonnay-esque variety, or one like a cognac) which are then served warmed or chilled into small egg-size cups. The proprietors (who also run Rioja along the road) are keen to educate diners in sushi etiquette as a large portion of the brown paper menu is dedicated to this purpose. A fish sushi sharing plate for two offers a fair selection of nigiri (salmon, sea bass and octopus) with dragon roll and assorted small maki for £23 – and the pickled ginger is, naturally, delicious. Puddings offer another delightful surpise in the shape of chocolate mochi, a chocolate ganache enveloped in a soft rice cake. A great experience – though the Just Eat orders lining up along the bar can be a distraction for both diners and staff.
- High point: Sake flasks and cups
- Low point: Staff a bit distracted by takeaway orders
- Notable dish: Chocolate mochi
- Delivery: Serviced primarily through Just Eat
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Soul
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £12.75 per bottle