A great little neighbourhood sushi specialist and undoubtedly the coolest sake bar in town.
From street level, Pickled Ginger looks every inch the trendy Finnieston drinks establishment – high-sided window reveal little more to passers-by than a large bar area with mixologists at work, a formidable coffee machine and small handful of candlelit tables. Duck in under the restaurant’s neon sign and discover that there is much more on offer in this slick, modern Japanese diner that tips its hat to the hipster aesthetic without going all in. Menus offer up an array of fairly familiar dishes. All are done well, making it difficult to make a bad choice here. Daily specials allow chefs to get creative with more adventurous options – sushi deep-fried in tempura batter deserves to be a regular feature on the menu. If you do accidentally pop in for a cocktail, they have that covered. Ask for a recommendation from their clever list of in-house creations (expect lemongrass and chilli notes) or make the most of their extensive sake library. Staff are fun but efficient, giving the place a convivial feel that stays with you after you leave.
- High point: Warm sociable vibe
- Low point: Menu is fairly safe
- Notable dish: Sushi in tempura batter
- Delivery: Serviced primarily through Just Eat
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £12.75 per bottle