- Telephone 0141 328 8941
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun noon–10pm; Fri & Sat noon–11pm.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm
- Website www.pickledgingerfinnieston.co.uk
Buzzing bar-diner serving up well-executed sushi platters washed down with an expertly chosen sake list.
One of Finneston's early adaptors, Pickled Ginger remains the go-to sushi destination in Glasgow's official gastronomic heartland. Remnants of its life as a former boozer vanish as soon as you step in, thanks to industrious chefs in an open-plan kitchen and a stripped-back interior lit by flashes of neon. The placemat-style menus feature an illustrated guide on how to eat sushi (fine to use fingers, don't add wasabi into the soy sauce) and a greatest hits list of Japanese favourites, all keenly priced. Usual suspects like California and dragon rolls sit alongside more unusual treasures like horse clam nigiri and octopus gunkan. The wise diner should also hit up the daily-changing sushi specials, as here the chef's creativity goes up a notch with the likes of spicy tuna maki in rich eel sauce and raw salmon marinated in citrussy ponzu. Hot dishes offer the expected teryaki and katsu, with a nod towards Korea in a tender beef bulgaki. Indulge in the impressively curated sake list, with handy tasting notes for the novice, which will encourage you to linger long after your last prawn tempura.
- Delivery: Primarily through Just Eat
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle