Sequel to the former Lothian Road Tex-Mex favourite, revived courtesy of a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Tucked away in a corner of St Patrick Square, Illegal Jack's is a welcoming beacon of warmth and flavour for hungry Southside dwellers. In a prime spot for university students and the summer Fringe crowds, the relocation of the original Lothian Road branch seems to have been a success. The new premises are brighter, cosier, less canteen, more cantina. Tacos and burritos are stacked with your choice of spicy marinated chicken, locally sourced steak, haggis (freshly caught in the wilds of West Lothian) or veggie chilli, then layered up with beans, salad and guacamole to Leaning Tower of Pisa proportions. The grilled quesadillas and nachos are also ideal for a quick lunch, and (slightly) less messy to eat. Don’t bother trying to use cutlery, just rely on your hands and prepare to work your jaw. There’s no room for bite-size tostadas here, these guys are all about generous portions and fast, fresh food – and they certainly do it well. With the exception of a couple of Mexican beers, alcohol is from Scottish breweries such as BrewDog, Stewart Brewing and Thistly Cross.
- Delivery: Via Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixture of 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s music
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2009 (2015 in current location)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: Half bottles available per bottle