- Telephone 0141 237 1551
- Opening times Daily: 11am–1am.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight, Fri/Sat noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
The most recent Bar Soba branch has a remarkable setting on the corner of historic Merchant Square for its range of Pan Asian fusion food and cocktails.
Not unlike the neighbouring restaurants and bars in Merchant Square, Bar Soba adheres to a certain remit. The cocktail list is thorough, the food menu plays it safe enough to cater to large mixed groups and the surroundings are stylish and well apportioned. This particular Bar Soba is generous with its ample space. From the entrance on Albion Street it would be easy to mistake the place for a small New York-style bar, as bartenders get to work shaking up cocktails under low lighting and red neon. The vast cocktail list ensures staff are agile mixologists, happy to make recommendations and go off-piste if your favourite tipple is not listed. Ask for a table and the true scale of the place is unveiled. The large space sprawls over two internal levels and out on to the main body of the square and above, where diners can sample Far Eastern food from a balcony area illuminated by fairy lights. The menu is inspired by street food dishes from across the East (the Nasi Goreng rice bowl is particularly accomplished) offering something for even the fussiest of palates.
- High point: Interesting daily specials
- Low point: Limited draught beer selection
- Private dining: 32 and 45
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Local DJs on Friday and Saturday night
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle