- Telephone 0141 237 1551
- Opening times Daily: 11am–1am.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight, Fri/Sat noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
The most recent Bar Soba branch has a remarkable setting on the corner of historic Merchant Square for its range of Pan Asian fusion food and cocktails.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This latest addition to the successful Bar Soba Pan-Asian eating and drinking experience has taken up residence in a seriously large and exciting revamped historic space on one corner of Merchant Square, with an enthusiastic staff on hand to ensure that the crowds of aficionados are comfortably housed. Diners can feast on large bowls of inventive Far Eastern fusion cuisine including Singapore noodles with pork, chicken and prawns all spiced up with curry, ginger, garlic and coriander, or a full range of tastes can be explored by sampling the Soba sharing platter of corn and coconut fritters, Thai fishcakes, chicken satay, sticky chicken wings and spring rolls all served with assorted dips. Thai fish and chips is recommended – sea bass in tempura batter stuffed with prawns and lime leaf. There are special vegetarian, gluten-free and children’s menus plus excellent-value lunch and pre-theatre menus. The bar offers an outstanding range of global beers with 12 on draft, while cocktails come tall, classic, straight up, to share or in buckets, and the wines are fresh, crisp and fruity, perfectly complementing the spicy food.
- High point: Space, food and alcohol = perfect party night out
- Low point: Leaving the cocoon-like experience
- Notable dish: Thai fish and chips
- Private dining: 32 and 45
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Staff favourites ,mainly 70s and 80s classics
- Live entertainment: Local DJs on Friday and Saturday night
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
2 for 1 on all main courses at Bar Soba
If the January blues are getting you down, we have just the thing to get you out of your funk. Our friends over at Bar Soba are offering readers 2 for 1 on all main courses throughout the month, thanks to their cracking January sale.