- Telephone 0141 237 1551
- Opening times Daily: 11am–1am.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–7pm; Sat 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
The most recent Bar Soba branch has a remarkable setting on the corner of historic Merchant Square for its range of Pan Asian fusion food and cocktails.
Although tied to the same menu across sites, Soba venues are free to develop a certain individuality regards tone and setting. This outlet takes up a massive corner in Merchant Square where a covered courtyard ensures shelter from the fickleness of our fine Scottish weather. No less than four large eating areas form the hub of this sprightly venue, including a main room, mezzanine, balcony and ‘outdoor’ seating overlooking the covered courtyard. At weekends the street food acts as a spine rather than main focus, as cocktail and music lovers sustain their revelries with arrays of small and large plates to suit their whim. Lunch is a more relaxed affair where the venue idles along drawing in regulars with some authentic, sparkling dishes. Chicken sate is fresh, light and fragrant, served with a welcome texture of crushed nuts, while the popular General Tso’s chicken is a wok-fried melange, fiery and sweet, served on a bed of jasmine rice emitting aromas of rice wine, ginger and nuttiness. As with other parts of this increasingly ambitious venture, the flavours are lively and the serving staff are nimble and friendly.
- Delivery: Deliveroo, UberEats
- Private dining: 32 and 45
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Disco, funk, R & B
- Live entertainment: Local DJs on weekends
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle