Maki & Ramen
- Telephone 07548 628685
- Opening times Daily: noon–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £13.30 (ramen & yakitori); £13.30 (ramen & yakitori)
Bustling noodle joint offering steaming hot ramen and freshly made sushi.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If, like most right-thinking people, you believe that sometimes there’s no salve greater than shovelling mouthful after mouthful of hot, slippery, perfectly seasoned noodles into your gob, then rejoice, friend: Maki & Ramen is the mothership, calling you home. Sitting bar-style in the restaurant’s narrow surrounds – a funky, brightly decorated spot that whispers of Tokyo – the focus is chatter and nosh. Vegetarian, beef, or seafood ramen come in bowls big enough to house a goldfish – the broth savoury and bolstering, noodles tangled and plentiful. But there’s more than just restorative ramen to satisfy you: yakitori (octopus balls) are a deep-fried, cheese-filled seafood glory, while beef tataki smacks of earthiness and chicken skewers are pleasing, if meagre in portion. Staff are impeccably helpful and cheery, and there’s bottomless free green tea to wash everything down. Affordable, enjoyable, and fast – the perfect quick-fix meal.
- High point: Food for the soul as well as the belly
- Low point: No maki on offer at the time
- Notable dish: Yakitori (octopus balls)
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Japanese pop music
- Capacity: 27
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2016
- BYOB: £2 wine, £0.50 beer corkage