Smile Café Central
- Telephone 0141 387 8184
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–6pm. Closed Sat/Sun
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
A bustling city centre café offering up a taste of authentic Italian sandwiches, pastries and coffee.
Unlike its quaint West End antecedent, Smile Café Central is spacious and airy, and as its name suggests, is slap bang in the the city centre. It’s a place to treat yourself to something a bit special when a cheese sandwich won’t cut it: choose from focaccia or ciabatta then pick one their delicious hot or cold sandwich filling combinations that make the most of quality Italian imports. If you’ve time to spare, or fancy more than one of their Kimbo coffees, you won’t feel rushed here, and customers can help themselves to tap water and peruse the counters at their leisure. Sold by the slice, pizzas made with sourdough are deliciously crisp – ideal for eating on the go – and lunch-sized pasta dishes are cooked just right: pasta amatriciana is cooked with aged pancetta making all the difference to an otherwise simple dish.
- High point: Quality ingredients imported from Italy
- Low point: Closed all weekend
- Notable dish: Amatriciana pasta
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian radio
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2012 (Queen Margaret drive). 2015 (Central)