Smile Café Central
- Telephone 0141 387 8184
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–4.30pm. Closed Sat/Sun Closed Sat/Sun
- Average price (set lunch)
A bustling city centre café offering up a taste of authentic Italian sandwiches, pastries and coffee.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Smile Café’s second location is much more spacious than its West End counterpart, with south-facing corner windows filling the attractive, originally featured space with light as well as displaying the bustle passing by. Living up to its great reputation as a stalwart paninoteca, 20 different sandwich options are available on focaccia or ciabatta, as well as salads, soup and pizza options. Asiago, mozzarella and pecorino feature heavily across the menu, along with pancetta, parma ham and salami. There are a number of veggie options, too, such as grilled aubergine, roasted pepper and taleggio on a chewy ciabatta. Coffee is from Kimbo, and is served from the finest Florentine espresso machine. Sweet treats are deliciously Italian, too – with almond and chocolate cakes or cannoli stuffed with lemon, chocolate or pistachio. Shelves are packed with colourful imported items such as biscotti, polenta, pasta and flour should you wish to take home a taste of Italy.
- High point: Authentic Italian food and service
- Low point: Makes you wish you were in Italy
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2012 (Queen Margaret drive). 2015 (Central)