The Beer Kitchen by Innis & Gunn
- Telephone 0131 228 6392
- Seasonal times Open later: Festival and Christmas.
- Bar open Mon–Fri 9am–1am; Sat/Sun 10am–1am
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm
- Average price £7 - beer and sandwich deal (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.innisandgunn.com/bars/…
Innis & Gunn's own brewery bar brings fine food as well as a slew of good beers to Lothian Road.
If you like beer and food, then the Beer Kitchen is for you – but even if you don’t like beer, you should still go. Appealingly furnished in wood, brick, metal and tile, there’s a large airy bar, cosy booths and a romantic nook in front of the fire. A glass room at the back houses a huge keg of unpasteurised lager waiting to be served and mini kegs filled by the Brew School’s apprentices. The knowledgeable bar staff will let you try a varied host of craft beers from near and far (though mainly from the UK) and if you love one you can take it away in a 2-litre ‘growler’. The menu pairs above-par pub favourites and meaty treats such as barrel-smoked beef with (Innis & Gunn) beers. Or try beetroot-cured smoked salmon with Gunnpowder IPA - who knew! That all said, have a wine if that’s what you prefer; these brewers are passionate but far from precious.
- High point: Relaxed, efficient service
- Low point: The 'Gunn' puns can get old
- Notable dish: Gunnpowder lamb rump
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Acoustic, mellow rock
- Capacity: 120 (+8)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
The Beer Kitchen by Innis & Gunn11 Sep 2015
Innis & Gunn's foray into brew-pubbing proves successful
Lothian Road’s transformation — from crapulent crawl destination to craft beer central — continues, with Edinburgh-based brewer Innis & Gunn’s first foray into brew-pubbing sitting neatly between The Red Squirrel and the Hanging Bat, in more ways than…