- Telephone 0141 231 1021
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–12.30am; Sun 10am–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Website www.blackdovedining.com
Lively bistro in the heart of Shawlands serving impressive food of exceptional quality, joined by an extensive wine list.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Despite an unassuming exterior, Black Dove’s relaxed, informal vibe and a very clever menu has resulted in well-deserved success since this stylish Southside spot opened in 2015. Neutral décor and exposed brickwork give a relaxed, laid-back vibe, which extends to the extraordinary food that chef Stephen Crawford produces. Using simple, quality ingredients to create an impressive yet unpretentious menu, the dining style here entails ordering a variety of small dishes, which arrive at the table in staggered fashion, again adding to the easy-going ambience. Sharing four of five little dishes per couple allows the sampling of a significant portion of the extensive menu – sea bass served with glistening silver skin adorned with crisp pancetta and peas is a triumph, while a fillet of beef served with an onion purée and wild mushrooms is earthy and exquisitely tender. Old favourites are funked up – the truffle macaroni is heady and intoxicating, while scallops are paired with a delicate apple purée that brings an interesting new dimension to a traditional bistro staple. An extensive wine list completes the enticement at this smart little venue.
- High point: Top-class neighbourhood dining
- Low point: Booking at the weekend is a must
- Notable dish: Beef with wild mushrooms and onion puree
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: modern and classic pop
- Live entertainment: live music once a month
- Capacity: 62
- Largest group: 62
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Restaurant review: Black Dove11 Sep 2015
Glasgow’s Southside dining credentials continue to rise
When considering the benefits of living in the age of the internet there is, obviously, the ability of school pupils to chat live with astronauts and surgeons to carry out delicate remote operations. But the ability of small, independent restaurants to…