Coro the Chocolate Café
- Telephone 0131 629 3050
- Opening times Mon–Fri: 9am–6pm; Sat/Sun 10am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–5.30pm; Sat 10am/5.30pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website www.corochocolate.co.uk
Fun-loving chocolate cafés (two branches) serving waffles, crêpes, sweet fondues and design-your-own bars, plus savoury lunches.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
You could stop off at Coro for a soup and sandwich lunch – both are tasty enough and plenty of people do – but you’d be missing the point. This is the place for a chocolate fix. Forget the exclusive chocolatiers offering trays of finely crafted confectionery, this sweet spot reminds people that chocolate should be fun. Each morning they melt their dark, milk and white Belgian chocolate and spend the rest of the day encouraging customers to swirl it, pour it and dip things into it. Waffles, crêpes and chocolate fondues are all big sellers, along with hot shots of liquid chocolate served up with chilli, paprika or ginger. There’s also a long list of milk shakes, cakes and sundaes and, if you’ve got room, you can design your own handmade chocolate bar. They host children’s parties too, but this place is really kids’ stuff for grown-ups - and now a second branch has opened on Frederick Street, there's no excuse not to get your chocolate on.
- High point: Release your inner Charlie Bucket
- Low point: Beware your inner Augustus Gloop
- Notable dish: Cookie and cake fondue
- Delivery: Through Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Casual indie
- Capacity: 19
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2015