- Telephone 0131 290 2500
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–midnight; Sat & Sun 10am–1am.
- Bar open Sun–Mon 10am–11pm; Tue–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price Deli plate £7.50 (Mon–Fri noon–2pm); £10 (Sat/Sun noon–3pm). Eat as much as you want for £5 extra.; £12.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.bodabar.com/akva/
Edinburgh's Swedish chain takes on its biggest venture yet, and gets everything right with good food, drink and family friendliness.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The empire of local Edinburgh Swedish bars which started out with Leith Walk’s cosy Boda has expanded into its sixth and largest premises, the two-level canalside warehouse formerly known as Cargo. Where its predecessor was decidedly crisp and corporate, however, the sense of homely, unpretentious chintz with which the Boda chain has made its name fits surprisingly well here. A few muffling rugs, some mismatched furniture, a ping-pong table upstairs (there’s a tournament every Sunday at 6pm) and the customarily decent range of craft beers, ciders and cocktails means this is a fun hangout whether there are a couple of dozen people in for open mic night on Wednesday or the place is mobbed after work on a Friday. Other selling points include child friendliness (there’s a small baby play area at the back), a huge outdoor seating area on the canal, and strong food offerings; highlights include a chunky, Norwegian-style fish chowder, a plate of Swedish meatballs served with mashed potato, dill gravy and lingonberry jam, and a smoked trout and salmon smörgåsbord.
- High point: Homely local on a grand scale, with great food, drink and events
- Low point: In a developing part of town, it hasn't quite found its home crowd yet
- Notable dish: Sharing smorgasbord of smoked trout, salmon and cheddar, pâté, beetroot pickle, homemade dill pickles and bread
- Private dining: 250 upstairs
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music on Sun, quiz on Tue, open mic on Wed, DJs Thu–Sat, ping-pong championship at 6pm on Sun.
- Capacity: 550 standing, 250 seated, 300 outside
- Largest group: 500
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £14.30 per bottle
There are 5 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Book Swap Edinburgh
Welcome to Book Swap Edinburgh! We're a group of book lovers who share a passion for reading and a belief that books should not be left on a shelf. We swap books using the internationally renowned book swap site www.bookcrossing.com. By registering your book on this website you obtain a unique code and the book can…
Sun 19 Mar
Sun 16 Apr
Sun 21 May
The Edinburgh Humanist Society Scotland Meetup Group
Meet other local Humanists, people who believe that we can find our own path by relying on scientific naturalism and a bit of common sense, without the need for supernatural guidance of any kind. This meetup group will try to advertise the events of the Humanist Society of Scotland (Edinburgh Group) to a wider audience.
Sun 19 Mar
Sun 16 Apr
Sun 21 May
Gentle Jaunts and Other Outings
Hi there & welcome to Gentle Jaunts. As the name suggests, we meet up to go on walks which are not to difficult, and are conducted at a reasonable pace. The group is as much a social activity, as it is a form of exercise. We meet to enjoy each others company, as well as get exercise and fresh air. A brief…
This is a meet up group for women based in or around Edinburgh, involved or interested in python programming. All levels are welcome, from professional programmers to those completely new to programming of any sort! We plan to have informal monthly meetups, as well as occasional talks and other one-off events.…
Talk Discuss! Edinburgh
This group is for anyone who thinks the world is full of interesting stuff to be chatted about over a drink with other people! - Non-fiction book club - Going to lectures/talks/theatre shows, then to have a drink or a bite to eat for discussion and a chat - Watching and discussing documentary films This group is for…