The Yacht London
- Telephone 02078361566
- Website www.theyachtlondon.com
Moored on the Thames close to the city's most famous landmarks, Gibson's at The Yacht London has earned its exclusive status as 'Mayfair of the river'. Crisp cosmopolitan design features expanses of brushed silver, whilst glass surroundings offer uninterrupted views across the water.
The Yacht, originally the St Katharine, 130ft in length with a 26ft beam, was commissioned by the Port of London Authority in 1927 from Philip and Son Ltd of Dartmouth for the princely sum of £21,512. She was employed on survey and inspection work until the outbreak of war in 1939 when she was taken over by the Admiralty. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited the Yacht in 1949 and then again 10 years later. Sir Winston Churchill smoked one of his famous cigars of the stern of the top deck, the site of our new Martell Cigar Lounge. In 1971 the St Katharine was sold to Robins (Marine) Ltd to be used as a floating restaurant and she has now been carefully restored in close consultation with English Heritage and PLA Archivists to bring her back to her former glory, retaining many original features of the Art Deco era with a twist of contemporary design.
Text supplied by third party.