La Favorita Delivered
This restaurant has ceased trading.
Close to Kelvingrove Park, this no-frills wood-fired pizza takeaway makes authentic and impressive pizza – plus a great-value house wine for sit-in diners.
For connoisseurs of quality pizza, the sight of La Favorita’s bright yellow delivery Fiat 500s on Glasgow’s streets can only be welcome. With two-day-matured pizza dough and an emphasis on authentic Italian ingredients coupled with high-quality Scottish produce, the pizzas that are fired over wood in their custom-built ovens cannot fail to impress. Well-chosen side dishes include crisp light calamari and sweet potato crisps, dusted with parmesan and rosemary, which seem too good to be gluten-free. Pasta dishes are made to order, too, such as rigatoni alla norma of aubergines and basil baked in the oven and topped with creamy ricotta – and, if you choose to sit in the bright and cheery downstairs seating area, the food can be enjoyed with a bottle of wine for a blink-twice £7. Generous deals on different weekdays are worth looking out for, and the desserts are made in-house, too. There is no table service and only one beer on tap, but it is Birra Moretti. Simple but top-quality all round – a winning formula.
- High point: Skilfully prepared, authentic pizza
- Low point: When they say it's spicy, it's spicy!
- Notable dish: Hot star pizza
- Delivery: To postcodes: G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, G11, G12, G13, G14, G20
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: indie-pop
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £7 per bottle