La Favorita Delivered
This restaurant has ceased trading.
Close to Kelvingrove Park, this no-frills wood-fired pizza takeaway makes authentic and impressive pizza – plus a great-value house wine for sit-in diners.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
For connoisseurs of quality pizza, the sight of La Favorita’s bright yellow delivery Fiat 500s on Glasgow’s streets can only be welcome. With two-day-matured pizza dough and an emphasis on authentic Italian ingredients coupled with high-quality Scottish produce, the pizzas that are fired over wood in their custom-built ovens cannot fail to impress. Well-chosen side dishes include crisp light calamari and sweet potato crisps, dusted with parmesan and rosemary, which seem too good to be gluten-free. Pasta dishes are made to order, too, such as rigatoni alla norma of aubergines and basil baked in the oven and topped with creamy ricotta – and, if you choose to sit in the bright and cheery downstairs seating area, the food can be enjoyed with a bottle of wine for a blink-twice £7. Generous deals on different weekdays are worth looking out for, and the desserts are made in-house, too. There is no table service and only one beer on tap, but it is Birra Moretti. Simple but top-quality all round – a winning formula.
- High point: Skilfully prepared, authentic pizza
- Low point: When they say it's spicy, it's spicy!
- Notable dish: Hot star pizza
- Delivery: To postcodes: G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, G11, G12, G13, G14, G20
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: indie-pop
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £7 per bottle