La Petite Mort
- Telephone 0131 229 3693
- Opening times Mon–Fri & Sun noon–11pm; Sat noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun noon–10pm Festival, Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–10pm Christmas
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Website www.lapetitemortedinburgh.co.uk
La Petite Mort offers a riveting gastronomic performance in the shadows of the King's Theatre.
Named after the owner’s favorite James album, La Petite Mort offers intimate, adventurous dining in the shadows of the King's Theatre. The stage is set with candlelight, exposed brick, and decorative relics found in the basement. A small cast of characters inhabit the menu allowing fresh ingredients, culinary skill and a casual fine dining approach to tell the tale. For an opening monologue, the Green Tomatillo Bloody Mary is an exquisite award-winning twist on the classic cocktail. A first act of honey-glazed pork belly, black pudding, and pancetta is melt-in-your-mouth tender and well supported by its co-star of crunchy apple. The second act of parma ham and chorizo-crusted cod is almost upstaged by its accompanying Cullen skink arancini, while generous desserts make for a fitting curtain call. With well-priced lunch and pre-theatre options, a thoughtful menu, and a carefully curated drinks list, La Petite Mort is worthy of a standing ovation.
- High point: Great drinks selection from the adjoining Bennets Bar
- Low point: Limited selection of starters and sweets may leave some wanting
- Notable dish: Green Tomatillo Bloody Mary
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Ambient, chilled and indie
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle