La Petite Mort
- Telephone 0131 229 3693
- Opening times Mon–Fri & Sun noon–11pm; Sat noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun noon–10pm Festival, Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–10pm Christmas
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £19.95
- Website www.lapetitemortedinburgh.co.uk
La Petite Mort offers a riveting gastronomic performance in the shadows of the King's Theatre.
Tucked away behind the King’s Theatre in the back room at Bennets Bar, this snug and sophisticated little bistro is just the place for a lazy lunch, a pre-theatre stop or an intimate dinner à deux. The French connection begins and ends with the name – the kitchen serves up an imaginative and varied take on bistro classics celebrating Scottish producers. A trio of pork ballotine comes with a crunchy homemade piccalilli, salmon is cured with Calvados, a flat iron steak is paired with an oxtail sausage roll and seared seabass is served with turmeric and chive gnocchi. The wine list has a good selection of very reasonably priced bottles and glasses and the innovative cocktails are well worth making time for. Service is charming and friendly, creating a warm atmosphere in a cosy dining room that has a touch of theatrical art deco about it.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled and mellow playlist
- Capacity: 32 (6 outdoors)
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle