La Petite Mort
- Telephone 0131 229 3693
- Opening times Mon–Fri & Sun noon–11pm; Sat noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun noon–10pm; Christmas: Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–4pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £19.95
- Website www.lapetitemortedinburgh.co.uk
La Petite Mort offers a riveting gastronomic performance in the shadows of the King's Theatre.
Set behind Bennets Bar and accessed off Valleyfield Street, this diminutive diner punches way above its weight with a resourceful kitchen specialising in precision French technique and inventive creations. Proximity to the King's Theatre makes it a prime spot for pre-theatre adventures and inspires a stagey informal interior of deep blue walls, red velvet drapes, mismatched tables and a tapered wooden bar. The reassuringly small menu includes a starter of goat’s cheese mousse, brought into sharp focus with a smattering of spiky pickled carrots. A hefty slice of duck terrine is loaded with aromatic leg meat, enhanced by a seam of velvety foie gras in a flawless apple and celeriac sauce. Mains include a bravura vegetarian wellington comprising three swirled pastries packed with resonant pine nut, broccoli and spinach on a bed of sweet parsnip purée, with sharp lemon zest adding brazen, zingy surges. Popping flavours continue through desserts, where candied peel and dark chocolate add sweetness and indulgence to a punchy orange posset. Amiable staff and a nicely priced wine list round off an authentic bistro experience.
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Light jazz
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best restaurants in Edinburgh for good pre-theatre deals31 May 2018
Where to head if you're looking for a good feed before a show
Whether you're after a quick bite or a more lavish pre-show meal, there are restaurants in Edinburgh of all cuisines with good, affordable menus to fill you up before you head to the theatre.