Jambo Grill and Restaurant
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 228 6088
- Opening times Tue–Thu 6–9pm; Fri & Sat 5–10pm; Sun 4–8pm; closed Mon.
- Seasonal times Hours extended during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Tues–Thu 5–10pm; Fri–Sat 5–11pm; Sun 4–8pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.jambogrill.co.uk
Delicious dishes and exotic meats from Central Africa. Slightly off the main drag but definitely worth a trip.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Jambo Grill served the good people of Falkirk for over three years, before relocating to Edinburgh in 2015 to bring their impressive Central African food to a wider audience. Run by a talented husband-and-wife team, the welcome is warm from Serah and the cooking is accomplished from Frances. The menu concentrates on Kenyan cuisine – with a couple of Nigerian and South African dishes too. There are exotic meats like zebra, goat, buffalo, ostrich, wild boar, kangaroo and crocodile, alongside mchuzi wa mbuzi, a goat curry with the most tender meat. Nyama choma (lamb on the bone), roasted or fried, is a taste sensation, served with a selection of side dishes and homemade sauces. The quality of the food continues throughout all the courses, and their South African malva pudding is a deliciously lighter version of a sticky toffee pudding, served with sweet vanilla sauce and vanilla ice-cream. With African music and décor as a backdrop, why not wash all this fabulous food and new flavours down with an African beer or cocktail.
- High point: An explosion of new flavours
- Low point: Zebras on the walls and zebras in the pies
- Notable dish: Nyama choma (lamb on the bone)
In our Edinburgh home surrounded by African paintings, photographs and artifacts we serve up the best African dining experience we can, while our chefs create a blend of traditional and contemporary home cooked African cuisine.
Our chefs use only the freshest ingredients ensuring quality is always the top of our agenda, combing their vast worldly experience to stir your taste buds and warm you heart. Our menus offer a tasteful variety of flavors from across the great continent of Africa.
The African music, combined with our selection of wines, spirits and a selection of African and European beers with our new and improved cocktail list including the infamous Dawa, ensures your inner African is only a heartbeat away.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: £2/£2.50
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: African pop
- Live entertainment: In the Edinburgh Festival – acoustic guitar
- Capacity: 54
- Largest group: 54
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle