No 8 Lister Square
- Telephone 0131 229 4634
- Opening times Sun–Thu noon—midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £18.50 (evening meal)
- Website no8listersquare.co.uk
A venue as grand as the surrounding Quartermile, but with a reassuringly personal touch for diners and drinkers alike.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Quartermile development may well split opinion right down the middle for its architectural style, but two points seem apparent regarding this new bar right at its heart. One, that despite its central location it’s in a most eerily quiet spot; and two, that No. 8 Lister Square is nonetheless something of an oasis, with two glass-fronted levels offering views out over the square amid comfortable seating, a pool table and televisions showing live sports. It’s both local hangout and destination, with regular live entertainment, a strong cocktail list and a packed but confidently prepared range of lunches, dinners and Sunday roasts. Dishes are rich but flavoursome, for example a starter of salty braised pig cheek medallions served with a sticky cider jus and a chilled apple compote, or a main of chicken Balmoral creatively presented as a roulade. The pineapple and rum tarte tatin served with salt caramel ice-cream is pleasingly indulgent but created with care and consideration, a microcosm of this large but comforting local.
- High point: Plenty of outdoor seating and a cosiness which belies its size
- Low point: In an eerily quiet spot at night
- Notable dish: Chicken Balmoral roulade with serrano crisp, honey and rosemary neeps, tatty crisps, mustard and whisky sauce
- Delivery: ask for details
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music on Mon, Wed and Thu, quiz on Tue.
- Capacity: 60 seated (60 outside)
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16.90 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Edinburgh Catholic Young Adult Group
The Ministry of Seekers("Seekers")is a Catholic group started by young adults for young adults. We are made up of people living, working and/or studying in Edinburgh. Seekers provides an opportunity to meet new friends and support each other in our faith. For those in their 20's, 30's or 40's. Single or in a…