Steak on Stones
- Telephone 0131 556 1289
- Food served Tue–Sat 5pm–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £34 (evening meal)
- Website steakonstones.co.uk
Classic steak and cocktails with a theatrical twist, served up in informal comfort
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Entering through a glamourous reception area, the high-ceilinged, exposed brick dining room of Steak on Stones offers the chance to enjoy prime beef from the same Royal warrant supplier as swanky sister restaurant Steak, while unwinding and embracing the interactive novelty of hot lava stone cooking. Once you’ve chosen your cut, or perhaps been tempted by the special exotic meat of the month, sit back and savour the tantalising smells and sizzles from the tables around you, while you wait for the kitchen to slice up your steak and deliver your personal volcanic rock. The menu is simple and portions are modest; a mini tureen of mussels with shallots, bacon, white wine and cream or three curls of soft salmon gravadlax with dill and mustard sauce to start and a choice of mini doughnuts or warm plum crumble to finish. Sides and sauces are ordered separately and range from an essential basket of homemade chips and classic Béarnaise, to the more unusual Brussels sprouts with cream and raisins.
- High point: Cooking your steak your way
- Low point: Don't try holding hands over a hot volcanic rock!
- Notable dish: Mini Doughnuts with Custard, Jam and Fudge Dips - worth saving room for!
- No. overnight rooms: 10
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: contemporary spotify playlist
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2015 March
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £21 per bottle