Globetrotting owner Fergus McVicar brings Barcelona, a pinch of Berlin and a sprinkle of Paris to this side-street joint.
Tucked along Mitchell Lane Tabac's sleek interior of dark wood floors, black leather seats and Parisian street lamps is a welcome escape from the hectic city centre. The food menu offers pizza, burgers and home comforts but with an experimental twist, such as a chicken burger with kimchi slaw, jalapeño jam and strawberry mayo. Here the often humble fishcake is packed with fresh Shetland salmon and haddock and served with creamy spinach, sweet roast tomatoes and a perfectly poached egg. The main menu is served all day, with a great specials board of inventive options and an express lunch for those in a hurry. Those not can linger over 14 taps of European draft, a well chosen wine list and prosecco by the glass. The sophisticated space with huge portraits and leafy pot plants is ideal for longing over cocktails and the smoking-themed menu features only the best spirits, from Seaside Edinburgh Gin in the Navy Cut to coconut infused Mount Gay black barrel rum in the Black Cat.
- High point: Sophisticated dining and top cocktails in the city centre
- Low point: Neglected instagram and twitter accounts
- Notable dish: Chilli fried chicken burger with kimvhi slaw, jalapeño jam and strawberry mayo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Electronica and techno
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri/Sat
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15 per bottle