- Telephone 07578 250105
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 10am–3pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 10am–4.30pm
- Average price (set lunch)
- Website www.spitfireespresso.com
Excellent spot in the Merchant City, big windows and vibrant paintwork make this a bright cafe.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Spitfire Espresso occupies a prime spot on the corner of Ingram Street and Candleriggs. Its huge windows offer a 180-degree vista onto an unfamiliar Glasgow – the Ramshorn Theatre, modern flats, civic buildings and giant murals. Inside is reminiscent of an American diner, with bright blue walls and upbeat classics playing. The menu is kept simple with a total of ten choices – six egg dishes and four sandwiches, plus soup. The thematically named Vought Kingfisher is a poached egg and smoked salmon bagel, straightforward but satisfying. Spitfire’s tomato soup is juicy and textured, enriched with paprika, while the turkey and smoked brie sandwich is dressed with their homemade basil pesto – subtle and fresh, with depth from the smoked cheese. All cakes are made on site, and the rocky road is quite divine.
- High point: Great range of enticing cakes
- Low point: Building extensions can be noisy
- Notable dish: Rocky road
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rock'n'roll and classics
- Capacity: 24 (12 outdoors)
- Open since: 2015