- Telephone 0131 226 1645
- Seasonal times Festival licence until 5am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–3am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–2.30am.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.ox184.co.uk
Big burgers, beer and beats in the Cowgate until the wee small hours.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The smell of the wood fire that greets you when you enter OX184 lends a real warmth to the large, slightly industrial space and the meats grilled over said fire are definitely designed to give comfort. Quality burgers, long boys and steaks follow juicy prawn and chorizo skewers or rib tips. Chunky chips would perhaps do a better job of standing up to the meaty dishes than skinny fries, but the heart of the dishes is right – and will be right there for you up to 2.30am, which is always a good time for a sundae with a giant toasted marshmallow. Like its Fuller Thomson buddies – the Holyrood 9A, the Southern and Red Squirrel – OX184 is big into its beer and much more booze beyond, including a huge range of whisky and whiskey (the list runs to over 100). The cocktail list is another highlight of the drinking experience here, featuring classics with a twist and a beverage named after each of New York’s five boroughs, of which they’d be surely proud.
- High point: Good times and good drinks abound
- Low point: Paper tray liners, sauce and serrated knives don't mix
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funky, upbeat tunes
- Live entertainment: DJs on Fri and Sat.
- Capacity: 220
- Largest group: 40-50
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle