- Telephone 0141 332 5300
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm; 5–10pm; Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 5–10pm Closed
- Pre-theatre times 2pm–6.30pm
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.allaitalia.co.uk
City centre Italian restaurant ideal for pre-theatre, with Turkish dishes also available from the sister restaurant above.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Having opened in 2014 as sister restaurant to the longer established Alla Turca, it can be difficult to tell where one restaurant ends and the other begins, especially on quieter evenings when only the upstairs Turkish part is used. Despite a little confusion, this is by no means a bad thing, as diners can mix and match from both Italian and Turkish menus, resulting in an interestingly diverse meal. Italian antipasti comes with a selection of cured meats and fresh mozzarella, crispy fried calamari and gooey wild mushroom and mozzarella arancini. Pasta and pizza make up the majority of the mains, though if you fancy venturing further East, a shish kebab of Gressingham duck breast comes with a warmly spiced mushroom and chestnut casserole, and their well-rounded wine list ideally suits both cuisines. For dessert, vanilla and mint panacotta is refreshing and creamy, and the complementary champagne cocktail arriving alongside is a nice touch. Though an unusual balance of East meets West, it’s one that works, tempting one to hope for a little more culinary crossover in individual dishes.
- High point: Lots of choice for a varied meal
- Low point: Service can be relaxed
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Middle Eastern music
- Live entertainment: Friday and Saturday 5.30pm–10.30pm, live music
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle