The Jolly Botanist
- Telephone 0131 228 5596
- Bar open Sun–Thu 10am–midnight, Fri/Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 11.30am–9pm; Sat/Sun 10am–9pm.
- Website thejollybotanist.co.uk
Upmarket Haymarket gin palace with over 50 gins stacked high behind the back bar.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Slowly, slowly, Haymarket is undergoing something of a rejuvenation and nowhere is that more apparent than in this splashy reboot of the old Spider’s Web. The Jolly Botanist is an upmarket gin bar, with an impressive multi-page gin menu taking drinkers through over 50 brands of gin, with recipes torn from old books decorating the walls with suggestions for classic gin cocktails. Your average G&T is mostly T – so (rightly) the gin list also suggests a tonic to accompany your tipple as well as a recommended garnish to set the whole thing off: Caorunn with Fentimans tonic and a slice of apple, or Rock Rose with Fever-Tree and a sprig of rosemary being particularly successful pairings. While the decorative whimsy doesn’t always convince, it’s a great option for an after-work or gin-soaked afternoon, perhaps with a sharing platter or two.
- High point: Gin, gin's the thing
- Low point: Can get very noisy
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 92 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle