The Jolly Botanist
Upmarket Haymarket gin palace with over 50 gins stacked high behind the back bar.
Slowly, slowly, Haymarket is undergoing something of a rejuvenation and nowhere is that more apparent than in this splashy reboot of the old Spider’s Web. The Jolly Botanist is an upmarket gin bar, with an impressive multi-page gin menu taking drinkers through over 50 brands of gin, with recipes torn from old books decorating the walls with suggestions for classic gin cocktails. Your average G&T is mostly T – so (rightly) the gin list also suggests a tonic to accompany your tipple as well as a recommended garnish to set the whole thing off: Caorunn with Fentimans tonic and a slice of apple, or Rock Rose with Fever-Tree and a sprig of rosemary being particularly successful pairings. While the decorative whimsy doesn’t always convince, it’s a great option for an after-work or gin-soaked afternoon, perhaps with a sharing platter or two.
- High point: Gin, gin's the thing
- Low point: Can get very noisy
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 92 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle