The Boozy Cow
- Telephone 0131 226 6055
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: later opening hours.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 11–10.30pm; Sun 11am–9.30pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.boozycow.com
A provocative punk dive bar and burger joint serving dirty dogs and punny cocktails with live music.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
From the red-lit, cage locker entrance to the low-slung, graffiti-plastered interior, there’s a murky aesthetic to Boozy Cow playfully reminiscent of a nefarious subterranean movie bar where you just know someone will come to a bad end. But despite its prison-slang neon-signage, blood-drenched kitchen window and hipster paint-job, nothing here is taking itself too seriously; it’s all geared to provoke you into having a good time. The menu’s pure dude food; served on trays to share, you’re invited to pile it high and get down and dirty with your hands (cutlery on request). Come in for weekly live music and DJs or prop up the bar and shoot the breeze with cocktail-slinging bartenders – there’s certainly plenty to talk about. With cocktails ranging from the peanut butter-infused bourbon PB&J to the Bacardi, lime and Irn Bru reduction Disco Bru, it’s part funked-up Deep South classics, part student party pre-loading, but it’s hard not to be seduced by the sheer fun of a cocktail in a customised tin with a flying saucer on top.
- High point: All profits go to local kids charities
- Low point: Even the pickles are deep-fried
- Notable dish: Popcorn chicken: peanut butter chicken pieces, toffee popcorn and hot chilli dip
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/boozy-cow
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rock/ Disco/
- Live entertainment: DJ set 9pm Tue & Fri, 9.30pm Sat; Live accoustic set Thu 8–10pm & Sun 6–8pm
- Capacity: 100 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: no advance group bookings
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle