The Mad Platter
- Telephone 0141 334 8894
- Food served Tue/Wed & Sun 10am–5pm; Thu–Sat 10am–9pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
You’ll receive an enthusiastic welcome at the Mad Platter, the eccentrically styled bistro whose curio-crammed interior lives up to its Alice in Wonderland-inspired name. It’s not all about the novelty factor though, or platters for that matter (choose from cheese, meat, fish and more). A substantial all-day menu and daily specials board ensure locals’ interest is maintained. Breakfast is a highlight, and the café’s cosy mezzanine area is an ideal spot to read the paper, enjoy a Dear Green coffee and tuck into lightly spiced French toast and Ayrshire bacon with lashings of maple syrup. With extended opening hours at the weekend and alcohol available, there are ambitions to make the Mad Platter an evening hangout. With a broader wine selection and a few more spirits added to the menu, it could well prove equally as popular as a bar.
- High point: Breakfast menu
- Low point: Limited selection of alcohol
- Notable dish: French toast made with sliced baguette
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Anything goes
- Live entertainment: open mic nights on Thursdays
- Capacity: 45
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle