Little Curry House
- Telephone 0141 339 1339
- Food served Mon–Thu 4–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 4–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 4–7pm
- Average price £6 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.littlecurryhouse.co.uk
Minute but vibrant restaurant, strong on Indian classics with an ever-changing list of original specialties.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Byres Road’s Little Curry House certainly makes the most of its limited space, with a mezzanine dining level and an open-plan kitchen ensuring that every inch of the small restaurant is being utilised. They also operate a successful delivery and takeaway service from the same kitchen, the comings and goings of which are obvious when you first come in, although virtually imperceptible once seated. The dining area has a cosy sociable atmosphere making the kitchen hubbub soon feel miles – rather than metres – away. The menu feels equally homely, a satisfying mix of recognisable choices (chicken korma, chana daal) and genuinely unique offerings. Potato and paneer pakora is an unexpected highlight of the starter selection. In terms of main courses, king krawn with dill and ginger is a showpiece of well-matched flavours, evenly balanced enough to allow each aspect to shine. There’s no let up in quality when it comes to accompaniments, with a particularly laudable bread list – the peshwari naan, for example, is light and subtly flavoured rather than heavy and sweet.
- High point: Warm convivial atmosphere
- Low point: Entrance is a bit of a bottleneck
- Notable dish: King prawn with dill and ginger
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Romantic and classical Indian music
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle