This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 563 5293
- Seasonal times Late opening during the Festival. Closed on Monday during winter.
- Bar open Mon–Fri noon–1am; Sat/Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price Thali selection and a lassi £10, veggie thali selection and a lassi £10. Both from opening until 4pm Mon–Sun (set lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.vdeep.co.uk
Fresh, adventurous Indian cooking in a revamped old boozer, served up with craft beers and a glitterball.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Although the zany neon decor flourishes and banter-filled menu may be too OTT for some, there’s no arguing with the fresh, delicious Indian cooking and decent craft beer options here. The menu recommends ‘tearing, sharing and experimentation’, and there are temptations all over the shop; coconut chutney for dipping poppadoms in, spicy South Indian chicken thighs smothered in tomato and ginger ketchup, rich, tomatoey butter chicken, mussels in a chilli and garlic butter sauce and tender slow-braised pork shoulder with masala vinegar. A £10 daytime thali deal allows for a filling, colourful overview, or they do an excellent brunch menu of bacon and egg ‘Naanwhiches’, breakfast bhajees and a Full Indian with pork bhangras, masala baked beans and West Indian black pudding. Beer-wise the house draughts feature Williams Bros and Drygate, with around eight guest cask and kegs on a constant rotation. You can drink your way round the world with the range of beers and cans too, with Australia, Mexico, Japan and … Somerset all represented, while cans are available to take out should you wish to continue your journey at home. Snap up the glitterball booth by the door for a private feast, or perch on high stools for communal grazing.
- High point: Livening up a Tuesday night with their two-for-one curries
- Low point: Sport avoiders won't like the big screen telly showing big games
- Notable dish: Spicy besan French toast with green chutney and homemade tomato ketchup
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 90s hip hop, 80s pop
- Live entertainment: DJs, jazz music, comedy nights and quizzes, all on irregular nights
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £17 per bottle