This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 553 6914
- Seasonal times Open 7 days during summer.
- Bar open Sun & Wed/Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Wed–Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £12.50 (set lunch); 5 course tasting menu £50 (set evening meal)
- Website anforawinebar.co.uk
Fabulous historic setting that should be on any wine-lovers’ radar.
Now in its second year, Anfora has established itself as one of the capital’s very best locations for enjoying wine. With over two dozen mainly organic and biodynamic choices available by the glass and a further three dozen by the bottle (including the intriguingly-billed ‘game changers’), you can let your curiosity get the better of you. Although the same menu is currently served in both the cosy, candlelit bar area and the atmospheric dining room (once used to sample and price the wines imported to Scotland from Bordeaux), a rumoured re-invention may place more emphasis on small plates. The cooking is classy and elegant; starters of squid salad and spiced crumble, and flavour-rich slow-cooked chicken wings both benefiting significantly from the suggested wine pairings. Mains are more substantial and the matching of pork belly on broccoli purée with a Sicilian white wine is an eye-opener. Those less keen on the grape can opt for one of over 30 malts, a Scottish beer (offerings from Williams Bros feature heavily) or something from the compact cocktail list.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening and jazz
- Live entertainment: Occasional live jazz
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £23 per bottle