- Telephone 0141 339 8809
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–8pm; Fri–Sat 9am–late; Sun 10am-6pm
- Average price £3.95 (soup and sandwich); £4.50 (sandwich meal deal); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.matildaspatisserie.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Throughout the day the glass frontage of Matilda’s reveals a hubbub of families devouring cakes, and takeaway customers popping in to pick up a sandwich deal. However, on Friday and Saturday nights the café is transformed into an entirely different eatery altogether with the availability of their bistro-style market menu. Dishes vary from the traditional, such as haddock with hand-cut chips, to the more creative, most notably the beautifully tender duck with pak-choi, soy, chilli and sweet potato. Naturally, as Matilda’s is first and foremost a patisserie, dessert is something truly special, and the passion fruit meringue pie is undoubtedly one of the highlights of the cake selection. In an area dense with daytime coffee spots, it’s exciting to see a café fully exploring its potential.
- High point: Lots of options of exceptional quality
- Low point: BYOB corkage a bit pricey
- Notable dish: Eggs Benedict / Matilda's chef's salad
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: funk/soul/pop
- Capacity: 40 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: £5; £1 beer/cider corkage (Friday and Saturday evenings only)