Andrew Usher & Co
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 662 1757
- Seasonal times Festival: late licence
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website andrewushers.co.uk
A basement bar bounteous with beer – choose from 20 taps and around 100 bottles and cans.
Despite being named after the father of Scottish whisky, this basement bar focuses on beer. Barrels and beer mats decorate the walls and knowledgeable staff guide you to the perfect pint amongst their 20 rotating kegs and casks, with tasters to help along the way. There’s something for everyone in the fridges, with a selection of around 100 cans and bottles (these and growlers are available for take away). The menu is hearty enough to sustain an extended sampling session: there are burgers, macaroni cheeses and Scottish tapas and platters available to share – why not split one of their larger bottles of beer to go with? Bar shelves groan with interesting spirits including milk vodka, 40 gins and of course a whisky collection Mr Usher would be proud of.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Big band swing to rap via rock.
- Live entertainment: Speakeasy every second Sun with swing dance; live music Friday/Saturday – blues, jazz, folk; occasional themed beer tastings.
- Capacity: 115
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £16 per bottle