- Telephone 0141 638 7772
- Opening times Mon–Thu 9am–11pm; Fri/Sat 9am–1am; Sun 11am–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5–6.45pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.michaelangelosglasgow.co.uk
Tucked away in a corner of Clarkston, Michaelangelo's authentic cuisine and delicious seafood is worth travelling to taste.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tucked behind an unassuming frontage, Michaelangelo’s opens into a chic dining space and a warm haven of Italian cuisine. The kitchen team headed by Federico Volpi approach their work with gusto, working with good local ingredients, baking bread and making pasta from scratch daily – and it shows in the quality of the food. Familiar starters such as melanzane alla parmigiana are presented with a flourish, creamy aubergine topped with oozing cheese, but the Scottish mussels, fresh and fat, in garlic and white wine cream sauce and a chunk of fresh baked bread for dunking, really stand out. Mains are equally impressive. Pollo in pardella, with chicken so tender the knife goes through it like butter, in a white wine and rosemary sauce, beautifully presented with a shower of green and purple shoots, is complemented by a heap of fresh spaghetti rich with garlic and pepperoncino. Tagliatelle Roma Mia, the signature dish that is a nod to Michaelangelo’s well-loved antecedent Roma Mia, has thin ribbons of pasta with a rich ragù and three different Italian sausages, chilli and fennel, so each mouthful is deliciously different.
- High point: Delicious fresh seafood
- Low point: Cheesecake a bit ho-hum
- Notable dish: Tagliatelle Roma Mia
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: funk & soul
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle