- Telephone 0800 073 1211
- Seasonal times Edinburgh Festival open until 6pm each day
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat 9am–6pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £8.50 (soup + sandwich)
- Website www.thenewtowndeli.com
Simply dressed Stockbridge café offering an appealing array of bagels and focaccia with tempting cakes and good coffee.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
No. 33 has quickly established itself as a super wee Stockbridge café. Friendly staff who clearly know their local crowd, stretch early morning coffee past a busy lunchtime scene, towards a small but perfectly formed collection of afternoon cakes. A sprinkling of timber benches and high-level window seats, snuggle against a simply composed backdrop of white walls and exposed brickwork, with a splash of primary colour. Halloumi, hummus and roast peppers, or prosciutto, brie and sunblush tomato are packed into an appealing array of bagels, croissants and flatbreads, all matched to well-made, daily-changing soups. Homemade sticky date cake proves hard to resist, alongside gluten-free brownies, honey and walnut marlenka and the ever-popular Portuguese custard tarts. In a part of town that’s spoilt for café choice, this is a venue doing more than enough to stand out from the crowd.
- High point: Chicken, bacon and guacamole focaccia
- Low point: Can be tricky to get a seat
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed playlist
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: No bookings
- Open since: 2014