The Black Fox
- Telephone 0131 553 2268
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Wed 3–10pm; Thu–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.blackfoxleith.com
Relaxed bar in the heart of Leith Walk with creative cocktails and simple bar food
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This bright and spacious Leith Walk bar aims to mix the best elements of a city centre bar and a local, and for the most part it succeeds. There’s a strong cocktail menu which ranges from classics like Negronis and Old-Fashioneds to a range of more playful tiki-themed cocktails. It's a big space, though, which sometimes works against the bar’s intentions – and it’s not always clear if it wants to be that cosy craft beer hangout or a more commercially focused enterprise. For example, the big screen TVs are there – but they are more likely to be showing a classic movie than the footy. Long-time Leithers may still hold a candle for Priscilla’s, a former occupant of this space, but it's this skulk of little foxes that's the future, offering a high-quality, dependable local.
- High point: An expansive cocktail menu
- Low point: The menu isn't hugely exciting
- Notable dish: bratwurst with peanut butter and bacon
- Provides: Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80 (up to 10 outside)
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle