The Black Fox
- Telephone 0131 553 2268
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 3am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.blackfoxleith.com
Relaxed bar in the heart of Leith Walk with creative cocktails and simple bar food
One of the clearest indications that Leith Walk is one of the main hives of student activity in the city is the rise of the Black Fox – although its clientele is diverse, large numbers of students from the halls across the road treat it as an extension of their living room, which is no bad thing if you like a busy, buzzy atmosphere. Contemporary and moodily candlelit in the evening, behind the bar focuses on a reasonably good line-up of cocktails (and very reasonably priced they are too, especially mid-week) including gin-based creations, frozen daiquiri slushies and house recipes like the Leith Ritz, which involves mandarin vodka, Calvados apple brandy, lemon, mango and prosecco. For food, they keep things simple – it's predominantly burger based, with a few hot dogs, sub sandwiches and salads offering variety.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 40 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £15 per bottle