The Ship Inn / The Wee Catch
- Telephone 01294 279 722
- Seasonal times Wee Catch Fri–Sun noon–6pm
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9pm; Fri noon–9.30pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times 4 – 9pm
- Average price £14 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.50
- Website www.theshipinnirvine.co.uk
Irvine's harbourside inn was built in 1567 and licensed in 1754, making it the oldest pub in Irvine and one of the oldest in the region. Inside it has the appealing feel of a hideaway snug thanks to wood lined booths and separate dining spaces that surround the central bar, with all manner of nooks and crannies to secrete yourself. The menu changes with the seasons but you could expect to see pub favourites braised lamb shanks, beef and cask ale casseroles and a selection of pies, including the unexpected chicken and banana. From March to August, Friday to Sunday upstairs becomes The Wee Catch, a pop-up fish and chip shop serving beer-battered angel-cut haddock.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
Reviews & features
Ayrshire’s best chip shops18 Mar 2015
A handy round-up of the area’s best chippies in Ayrshire
Even though the local fishing industry has declined, Ayr’s long coastline lends itself to opportunities to enjoy the traditional fresh Scottish chippie by the water. All the big towns are well-served, for example Irvine with the well-established Enzo’s…