- Opening times Tues, Wed & Sat 11am–6pm; Thu & Fri 11am–8pm; closed Mon & Sun.
- Seasonal times Probably extended opening in August
- Food served Tue/Wed & Sat 11.30am–6pm; Thu/Fri 11.30am–8pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.reekiessmokehouse.co.uk
American-style BBQ joint with a Scottish spin, run by a husband-and-wife team who like to cook meat low and slow.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Pulled pork is continuing to trend right now, and the team behind this informal American-style BBQ joint are giving it a Scottish spin. You can douse your crumbly pulled pork or tender beef brisket in their made-from-scratch Whisky Jerk sauce, Irn-Bru BBQ sauce or even a Buckie Broon sauce. Sides are homemade and excellent; the coleslaw is crunchy, lightly mustardy rather than overly creamy, and laced with apple, or there are smoky beans with hunks of meat and whisky, which go particularly well with a pulled beef pastry sausage roll from the specials board. Meat is definitely the star here (quality, local meats are cooked low and slow, with love, on an American-built smoker) but for vegetarians who don’t baulk at the meaty scents in the café, there’s smoked veggie haggis to enjoy. Craft beers from Scotland (Tempest, William Bros etc) are on offer alongside Scottish rum, gin and whiskies, or there are milkshakes for the sweet-toothed. Leave room for owner Felicity’s gooey brownies and blondies if you can, recommended with a Pekoe tea or small-batch coffee from Home Ground in Cardross.
- High point: Carnivorous heaven for fans of smoky, salty, tender meat
- Low point: Sometimes run out of meat on extra-busy days
- Notable dish: BBQ beef brisket rubbed in spices, slow cooked and dipped in gravy and beer stock
Reekie's Smokehouse is a family-run, family-friendly restaurant serving up top quality BBQ with a Scottish influence. We've got two authentic, American-built BBQ smokers, our sauces are all made from scratch on-site, and our meat, bread and pretty much everything else is local, responsible and produced with passion. We serve a variety of homemade cakes, and fabulous teas and coffees have been blended and roasted just for us. Our kids corner with chalkboard, toys and colouring in should keep the little ones entertained and under eights eat for £1.50 (when purchased with a main order).
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 42
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £17 per bottle