- Telephone 0131 557 2717
- Opening times Daily: noon–11pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu noon–6.30pm; Fri noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £9.90 (Menu Presto from £4.95 for a dish); £10.95 on Sunday
- Website www.tonymacaroni.co.uk/italian-restaurants/…
Tucked away in the Omni Centre’s mall, this friendly, family-oriented venue is perfectly placed for a Playhouse pre-theatre fuel-up.
Tony Macaroni sounds like the sort of mafia boss you’d find in black comedy box-office hit. Picture it: ten-year-old Tony, fed up of being teased about his cheesy surname, vows to turn the tables on his tormentors and open a successful chain of family friendly restaurants. Who’s laughing now, eh? Well, Tony, if we believe that tall tale. Still, the name has not held this chain back from Scottish pizza-place domination. With its massive menu, neon-lit signage and bright classically modern interior, the Edinburgh Omni Centre branch bustles with pre-cinema goers, families, young couples and folk looking for a huge blockbuster menu of simple, traditional grub. As well as sourdough focaccia and pizzas, Tony’s offers burgers, meat dishes, pasta and risotto. Starters include all the big names from mozzarella cheese sticks to meatballs or deep-fried calamari. Brownie, sticky toffee pudding and tiramisu fans will find them all present and correct on the dessert menu. Don’t expect any plot twists – Tony is the ultimate people pleaser, presenting his customers with exactly what they want in a no-nonsense way.
- Delivery: Due to start in March using Deliveroo
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Online radio - pop music
- Capacity: 196 (plus 20 at outside tables)
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best kid-friendly restaurants in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Buggies, toys and tots are welcome at these child-friendly cafés, pubs and restaurants
Great for parents with buggies, toddlers with discerning appetites and kids yearning for a play area or pack of crayons, these child-friendly eateries are great for the whole family - no baby sitter required.