The Western Club Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 248 2214
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Sat noon–9pm; Sun 12.30–6pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri until 6pm; Sat until 5.30pm; Sun special menu all day
- Average price £19 (set lunch); £31 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £19
- Website www.theclubrestaurant.co.uk
Elegant restaurant with smart service and clever cooking, focused on excellent local and seasonal produce.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Sharing premises with a venerable private members’ establishment in Royal Exchange Square, this smart, rather formal dining space does have something of a ‘clubby’ feel to it. Appearances are deceptive though, as the restaurant is leased and run by the people behind nearby Urban Bar and Brasserie – and fully open to the general public. The Urban lineage shows in modern food that’s clever without being outlandish, strong on Scottish produce but not rigid about local sourcing. A rich and runny duck egg is fried in crispy panko breadcrumbs and served with black pudding and sweet crushed peas, for example, while a perfectly soupy risotto of cauliflower and leeks is distinguished by a scattering of truffle shavings. The menu changes every two months but expect fine west coast fish, Ayrshire ham, Scotch beef, lamb and venison, and excellent thick-cut chips. Desserts, such as an intense chocolate tart with mint ice-cream, are a strong point, too. Given the elegant surroundings, smart service and precise, satisfying cooking, prices are pretty good value, particularly on the lunch and early-evening market menu. A welcome member of Glasgow’s smarter dining ranks.
- High point: Brilliant thick-cut chips
- Low point: Market menu cut-off is a little early
- Notable dish: Roast venison saddle, sweet and sour cabbage, crispy potato cake, walnut and raspberry
The Western Club Restaurant offers stunning views over the spectacular Royal Exchange Square. Smart, chic and centrally located, the restaurant is a must for all foodies. The well turned out staff deliver the kitchen’s creations in a stylish setting which combines a relaxed, elegant ambience with professional service.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid back mellow mix/ ballads
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £23 per bottle