- Telephone 0131 556 9808
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–8pm.
- Average price £24 (lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Website theoxedinburgh.com
A great local gastropub with an interesting and varied menu.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
On entering the Ox, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s just a smart, modern bar but raise your eyes to the mezzanine-level seating and kitchen above and you get an inkling of its true potential. Proudly self-identifying as a gastropub, the pub part takes place at street level and the craft beer box is very much ticked with Punk IPA and Schiehallion on tap and a good range of bottles. The spacious upstairs area is slightly more sedate in atmosphere and much more gastro. Starters and mains are supplemented by 'small things', an assortment of hard-to-resist snacks including smoked applewood and sun-blushed tomato arancini and 'bigger things', including steaks and an excellent handmade burger. If that’s not enough choice, there’s a short specials board. The mainly European wine list is compact but varied and the ports and sherries are given prominent billing on the dessert menu to lead you further into temptation.
- High point: Great range of small plates if you’re feeling peckish
- Low point: No cocktails means a walk to George Street for your mojito
- Notable dish: Indian-spiced ox cheek
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed bag of cool tunes
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £17 per bottle