The McMillan Southside
- Telephone 0141 649 9055
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–11pm; Fri–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.themcmillan.co.uk
Multi-faceted grill and bar which serves residential Southsiders with just enough style.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This standalone triangular venue on Pollokshields Road is standing pretty proud in its second year, well-situated in an area with lots of tenements and locals who have provided much of its custom since opening. Its clean, safe lines evoke an executive airport lounge, be it for eggs Benedict at breakfast or (with dimmer lighting) just a quiet drink in the evening. A starter-sized portion of ‘old fashioned meatloaf’ has a good hit of rugged bacon beneath a runny little fried duck egg. Nice touches like that pop up on the menu. Another is the blackberry crumble – all deconstructed and on slate, which sounds like a bad idea, but is actually a fruity explosion in the mouth alongside the warm breadcrumbs. Steaks are aged on-the-bone for 30 days, though they can lack the real chargrilled depth (and accurate cooking) of venues elsewhere in the city. In the mixed grill, it’s the subtle spice of the Perthshire black pudding that really stands out, though a juicy pork link sausage runs it close.
- High point: Keenly priced lunch and early-evening deals
- Low point: Lacks intimacy
- Private dining: Up to 28 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Smooth, cocktail jazz
- Live entertainment: Pianist at weekends
- Capacity: 160
- Largest group: 160
- Open since: October 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle